Washington County, Virginia
Washington County, Virginia was named for General George Washington. The county was established on 7 December 1776 from Fincastle County (extinct). The county courthouse was established at Black’s Fort which became the incorporated town of Abingdon in 1778.
Each of these counties were formed from Washington County:
- Russell County in 1786,
- Lee County in 1793,
- Tazewell County in 1800,
- Scott County in 1814,
- Smyth County in 1832,
- Wise County in 1836,
- Buchanan County in 1858,
- Dickenson County in 1880.
General information for researchers can be found at:
|Wikipedia history overview of:||Washington County|
|Public records:||Washington County Clerk|
|History and genealogy:||Historical Society of Washington County, Virginia|