Skip to content

New River Notes Photo Gallery

A Collection of historic and current photos mostly covering the upper New River area of southwestern Virginia and northwestern North Carolina.


Last additions - Virginia Counties
beulahinterior.jpg
beulahinterior.jpg662 viewsThis church is located across the river from Fries. Note: this building is no longer extant. Courtesy of David Arnold.Jul 26, 2006
beulahchurch.jpg
beulahchurch.jpg705 viewsOldtown District, Grayson Co. across river from Town of Fries. Courtesy of David Arnold .david.arnold@adelphia.net.Jul 26, 2006
ClitoFallsfromneg..jpg
ClitoFallsfromneg..jpg1241 viewsHistoric site of Clito Mill & P.O. on the Elk Creek, Providence Dist., Fries, VA. Courtesy of David Arnold.david.arnold@adelphia.net.Jul 26, 2006
IronFurnaceCrippleCreek1.jpg
IronFurnaceCrippleCreek1.jpg1376 viewsIron Furnace at Cripple Creek. Courtesy of David Arnold .david.arnold@adelphia.net.Jul 26, 2006
BankofSpeedwell5.jpg
BankofSpeedwell5.jpg940 viewsThis is the old Quaker Church at Speedwell. Photo courtesy of David Arnold .david.arnold@adelphia.net identification courtesy of Adam Linkous adam_linkous@yahoo.com.Jul 26, 2006
firetower.jpg
firetower.jpg787 viewsThis is a 1930-45 era postcard.Jul 26, 2006
jamessurrett1910.jpg
James Surrett 1910 1319 viewsThis circa 1910 postcard shows "James Surrat 120 Years Old. A Half Breed Cherokee who Inhabits the Mountains of Bland Co, Va." One researcher states that he was born 1795 Cherokee, NC and died 1915 Bland County,VA.Jul 25, 2006
narrowspostoffice.jpg
narrowspostoffice.jpg617 viewsThis is from a 1930 era postcard.Jul 25, 2006
galaxparade.jpg
galaxparade.jpg955 viewsThis is from a 1920s postcard.Jul 24, 2006
maidenspringmill.jpg
maidenspringmill.jpg863 viewsThis is a 1931 postcard.Jul 24, 2006
pocahontascem1920.jpg
pocahontascem1920.jpg516 viewsThis is a circa 1920 postcard view.Jul 24, 2006
JULY24MGSJAN1980701.jpg
JULY24MGSJAN1980701.jpg1033 viewsTHIS IS WHAT THE MATHIESON GENERAL STORE LOOKED LIKE FROM THE INSIDE ON THE SECOND FLOOR JUST BEFORE IT WAS DEMOLISHED IN JANUARY OF 1980.

THE WEST SIDE FRONT CORNER BEGAN TO LOSE BRICKS AND FINALLY THE HOLE OPENED UP. THE STORE HAD BEEN CLOSED FOR SOME TIME. WORK HAD ALREADY LEVELED THE OLD SUPER X / IGA MARKET THAT HAD OPENED IN NOVEMBER OF 1955.

THE WALLS WERE SOLID BRICK...THREE WIDE. THEY BUILT IT WELL IN 1894.

Courtesy of Don Smith [dsmith1043@comcast.net[/email]
Jul 24, 2006
2351 files on 196 page(s) 101


[Edit]