aka Andrew Hampton Family Cemetery
Grayson County, Virginia
Location: East of Independence off of Riverside Dr.
Directions: This cemetery is in a barnyard at the end of the driveway leading to the Leonard Longhorn Cattle Farm. The driveway is on the south side of Riverside Dr. (Rt 274) 2.3 miles west of its intersection with Scenic Dr. (SR 94).
GPS Coordinates: N36.66249 W81.05296
Surveyed by: Buford C. Wilson 18 October 2007
Comments: There is a large bronze marker on a granite slab. It reads as follows: “In this cemetery lie Andrew and Sarah Griggs Hampton–the first Hamptons in Grayson County. Thousands have descended from these two pioneers who settled near this site in 1785.”It appears there are 25 to 30 graves marked with field stones. The cemetery is in very poor condition. The current owners are letting goats graze in it so there are no briars or weeds. However over the years most of the engraved stones have been broken into small pieces or are missing. Most of the graves are only marked with field stones and some of them are strewn about the cemetery.
|DUFPHEY, Richard H.||3 Jan 1810||29 Apr 1889||aged 79 yrs 3 mo 26 ds; [Richard Hale]|
|CARSON, James C.||27 Mar 1850||aged 46 yrs 4 ms; [freemason]; stone broken.|
|WARRICK, Infant||1851||1851||infant daughter of John W. & Ellen Warrick|
|WARRICK, Stephen K.||[22 Jun 1868]||[10 Mar 1885]||sons of John W. & Ellen Warrick; [shared stone with his brother Thomas J. Warrick. Unsure of dates due to weathered & broken stone]|
|WARRICK, Thomas J.||[22 Oct 1860]||[31 Oct 1862]||[stone broken & weathered so unsure of these dates too]|
|WARRICK, Eleanor Jane||[8 Aug 1827]||[6 Jul 1911]||w/o J.W. Warrick; stone is missing and only the base remains.|
|WARRICK, John Wesley||[Capt; h/o Ellen “Granny” Warrick]; presumed to be buried here. The stone is missing and only the base remains.|
|Known to be buried here|