Mount Paddy Church of Christ in Christian Union
Article from Jefferson Post date: August 1985
Featured Church Mt. Paddy
Submitted by Pastor Mike PETERS & congregation
“In 1936, still struggling from the Depression, a small band of people dared to believe God for a place where they could worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness. A Sunday School was organized at the home of Henry LEWIS on Sept. 20, 1936. The Lewis’ Blacksmith Shop became the meeting place until a small tract of land on Buffalo Creek was donated by James YATES and became the feature site of the new church. With happy hearts and great courage, they began to build. A dozen eggs were traded for a pound of nails–thus piece by piece the little church was complete for revival in March of 1939.
So, in the shadow of the Mr. Paddy Mountain, the new church became Mr. Paddy Church Christ in Christian Union. Rev. Ralph HENKLE baptized a number of new converts on May 22, 1939. Thru the years faithful believers carried on the work with various pastors leading the congregation including Rev. Owen HARPER and Rev. Bruce ROTEN.
With an improvement of the Buffalo Roads, the church was found with no sufficient parking area or land for future expansion. Thus in 1978, the people of Mt. Paddy Church made a commitment to relocate and finally in 1980 found a tract of land on Hwy. 88 W known as the Maude BADGER estate. On Oct.22, 1980 the people rejoiced as the old church building was moved form Buffalo Road to its new location on Hwy. 88.
The purchase of just over five acres of land was an answer to prayer and a vision into the future of a larger sanctuary. With great faith, vision and courage the small congregation who served a big God began building for the Glory of God and salvation of souls. Pastors Paul and Ruth ASHLEY provided leadership and encouragement as the people joined together to make this dream become a reality.
On July 1, 1982 the church came under the new leadership of Rev. Mike PETERS with Pastors Paul and Ruth ASHLEY still feeling a burden to stay at the church and help with the completion of the building program. Aug. 1, 1983, was a highlight in the church history as Ashe County’s first state licensed Christian Day Care Center was opened under the direction of Ruth ASHLEY.
Dedication service for the newly completed sanctuary was held April 29, 1984 as the congregation rejoiced and marveled at how God had blessed. The old sanctuary sits adjacent to the new building and will remain very special with memories or past warriors of the faith. It is still used for Bible study, Sunday School classes, and youth activities.
The people today, thru God’s help, are seeing a continued growth in the church body, and the Day Care Program is ministering to 51 children.”