Minutes of the Jefferson Baptist Association — 1856
Eighth Annual Session
Held with The Church at Liberty Chapel
Commencing September 4th, 1856
Annual Sermon by Elder S. Ross
Liberty Chapel, Sept. 4th, 1856
The Association convened for the purpose of transacting the business of its Eighth Annual Session pursuant to the appointment, and after the delivery of the Annual Sermon by Elder S. Ross, was called to order by the Chairman.
- Delegates presented letters from eight of the Churches which were read by the Clerk and the names of the delegates enrolled. Delegates appeared from the other Churches and informed the Association that they had been duly appointed, but that their letters had been misplaced; when, upon motion, they were received, with the understanding that the Clerk is to be hereafter furnished with the statistics.
- Proceeded to the election of Officers. Eld. S. Ross was chosen Chairman, and J. H. Perkins, Secretary.
- On motion, the Secretary was chosen Treasurer.
- Called for newly constituted Churches. Received one by the name of “Old Land Mark,” situated in Ashe Co., N.C., and represented by the following brethern: Jackson Blevins, A. Barker, James Testerman and Wm. Barker.
- It was announced that another newly constituted Church desired admittance, but the members appointed to bear the letter not being yet present, the matter was deferred until their arrival.
- On motion, called for correspondence. Received as follows: From the Holston Association, Bro. W. B. Gambill, Eld. J. B. Stone. From the Brier Creek Assoc., Eld. W. J. Chapel, Bros. Wm. Brotherton and John Sale. From the Yadkin Asso.–Eld. William G. Brown.
- Invited transient Ministers to seats. H. B. Brown and Esquire Trivet accepted.
- On motion, agreed that all select committees be appointed by the Chairman.
- Appointed A. G. Testerman, A. Blevins, and James Blevins, with the Chairman and Secretary a Committee of Arrangements, and invited corresponding delegates and transient Ministers to aid them.
- On Religious Services.–Wm. Young, Benj. S. Brown and Wm. Sheets, together with the Pastor and delegates from this Church.
- On Finance.–D. Sheets, J. B. Young, D. Blevins.
[At this point the copy I have ends. Except for the statistical table, which follows]
|Apple Grove||Ashe, N.C.||1854||Elder A. Blevins, Edward Blevins, D. Blevins, A. Pennington|
|Baptist Chapel||Ashe, N.C.||1842||J. Blevins, E. Francis, W. Thompson, Eli Blevins|
|Baptist Union||Grayson, Va.,||1842||Elder S. Ross, P. L. Shuler, A. T. Testerman, S. Perkins|
|Friendship||Grayson, Va.,||1852||S. F. Ross, Thomas Handy|
|Liberty Chapel||Ashe, N.C.||1847||E. Pope, C. Campbell, J. Garvy, J. Walters|
|Mount Pleasant||Ashe, N.C.||1849||Elder J. S. Loyd, D. Blevins, S. Blackburn, J. Green|
|Old Landmark||Ashe, N.C.||1856||Jackson Blevins, A. Barker, J. Testerman, W. Barker|
|Pleasant Home||Johnson, Tenn.||1856||R. W. Hawkins, R. Perdew, J. Gilbert, E. Dixon|
|Sugar Grove||Smyth, Va.||1842||Wm. Sheets, Hugh Cole|
|Union||Ashe, N.C.||1853||W. Roark, B. S. Brown, N. Estridge|
|White Top||Grayson, Va.||1847||W. Blevins, Uriah Huffman, J. Lewis, E. Hart|
|Young’s Chapel||Grayson, Va.,||1845||D. Sheets, J. B. Young, Wm. Young, J. H. Perkins|