American Legion, CLAUDE WELLS POST NO. 8 — 1924
The Marshall Field Out-Post No. 42 of the American Legion was organized in Fieldale on May 23, 1923, with fifteen charter members. Post Commander Gerard W. King, of Pannill Post, being given credit for organizing the first out-post in Virginia at a regular meeting.
After enough members had been secured it was decided to make application for a Post charter under the name of Claude Wells Post in reverent memory of a former Henry County boy who made the supreme sacrifice, the charter being granted on January 2, 1924.
The following officers were elected: B. M. Stultz, commander; R. M. Joyce, vice-commander; C. D. Looney, adjutant, and J. W. Norris, chaplain. Under the leadership of these officers and through the enthusiastic cooperation of each member the Post was cited for meritorious service for having increased its membership 140 per cent by March 18, 1924, as compared with membership shown at the convention held in Fredericksburg in 1923.
The Post now occupies their own well equipped hall in a building on Marshall Way, each meeting being well attended with unabated interest. Many charitable acts have been ascribed to Claude Wells Post as well as their hearty co-operation in every broadening project undertaken.