New River Baptist Church — 1979
Weaver’s Ford, Ashe County, North Carolina
New River Baptist Church was organized in 1891 by D. W. Thomason and J. F. Fletcher Charter members were: John J. Garvey, Matilda J. Garvey, Mary Phipps, Martha Phipps and Martha Pollard.
The Church is located near New River at Weaver’s Ford. The original building still houses the congregation. Repairs and additional room have been added during the years. The wooden church building which once rested on stone pillars has been bricked, and a basement added f or the purpose of Sunday School rooms. The Church has recently built a picnic shelter and paved the parking lot.
Rev. Jimmy Warden now  serves as pastor. Former pastors include: Rev. G. L. Trivett, Rev. J. D. Spencer, Rev. W. T. Whitdngton, Rev. W. H. Caldwell, Rev. Buford Hash, Rev. J. R. Shumate: Rev. Roe Pasley and Rev. Fred E. Jennings.
Mrs. Jaylene Warden is the present clerk and treasurer. Former clerks have been as follows: W. D. Brown, G. H. Pugh and Ann Huffman.