Grover C. Hamilton
GROVER C. HAMILTON, county treasurer of Bland, County, was engaged for a number of years in merchandising, but he grew up on a farm, and has derived the greatest satisfaction in a business way from his activities as a farmer and raiser of pure bred Shorthorn cattle.
Mr. Hamilton was born in Mechanicsburg, Bland County, August 6, 1888. His grandfather, Timothy Hamilton, was a native Virginian, and spent the greater part of his life on a farm in Mechanicsburg and followed the trade of a blacksmith. He married Miss Moore, a native of Virginia. Sanders M. Hamilton, who still lives in Mechanicsburg and is the father of Grover C., was born in Bland County August 5, 1845. He was a member of the Confederate army and served during the last three years and eight months of the war. He was captured in one battle and spent eight months in a Northern prison. After the war he took up farming, but is now practically retired. Sanders M. Hamilton married Sallie Ann Mustard, who was born in Bland County and died near Mechanicsburg in 1913. They became the parents of a large family of children: May, wife of A. Brown Moore, a Methodist minister at Athens, West Virginia, and also attending to a charge at Princeton, that state; Arthur L., a mine foreman in Kentucky and owner of a farm near Cincinnati; Shiffier S., wife of Walter Bailey, a mechanic at Princeton, West Virginia; William II., who owns and operates the old homestead farm; Grover C.; George B., a pipe fitter for the Goodyear Rubber Company at Akron, Ohio; Nell, wife of Marvin Whittaker, a farmer in Giles County; and Goldie, wife of Fred Gordon, a merchant at Crandon, Virginia.
Grover C. Hamilton spent the first twenty years of his life oil his father’s farm near Mechanicsburg. In the meantime he acquired a common school education, and on leaving home lie was in the mercantile business at Crandon for three years, and then moved to Pulaski, Virginia, where he became associated with J. A. Howard in the firm of J. A. Howard R; Company, seed and fertilizer. Ile kept his connection with that business until 1914, and then returned to Crandon and again was a merchant there for three years. About that time Mr. Hamilton bought his farm four miles east of Bland. He has 150 acres, practically all first class farming land, and on it has a modern home and complete equipment for his pure bred Shorthorn cattle. He specializes in Shorthorn cattle and pure bred Poland China hogs, and is ono of the best known breeders in this section of the state.
Among other business interests Mr. Hamilton is a stockholder in the Bank of Mechanicsburg and a director in the National Farm Loan Association. During the World war period he performed his duty as a field examiner for Bland County.
Mr. Hamilton was elected on the democratic ticket for the office of county treasurer in November, 1919. He began his four year term at the courthouse in Bland on January 1, 1920. Mr. Hamilton is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and is affiliated with Bland Lodge No. 206, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and the Modern Woodmen of America.
On March 11, 1909, at Bristol, Tennessee, he married Miss Sallie B. Stinson, daughter of Jacob and Sadie (Woodyard) Stinson. Her mother lives on the Stinson farm near White Gate, in Giles County, where her father died. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have four children: Georgia A., born in 1911; Helen V., born in 1913; Evelyne, born in 1917, and Lorene, born in 1918.