Murder of Allie Glade Anderson - 1948

Grayson Crime

New River Valley History:

New River History and Genealogy Discussion Group

For discussion of history and genealogy of the New River Valley of North Carolina and Virginia you are welcomed to join the New River History and Genealogy Discussion Group.

Click to join NRHG
Click to join NRHG

Welcome and we hope you join the discussions.


New River Notes — Complete

January 21, 2014

After about two years of work we have completed a major upgrade to New River Notes. On January 21, 2014 we switched in the last of the updated files and final page revisions.

In January 2013 we introduced the new site layout but because there were many pages left to do there was a big red Under Construction on the front page. A year later we've finished all of the pages that were on the original site. Construction is complete. We have a great looking site full of material to help you in your research and possibly entertain you.

New River Notes

January 6, 2013

New River Notes, a leading genealogy resource for the New River Valley of North Carolina and Virginia, launched its new look website today.

new river valley mapNew River Notes was originally launched in 1998 by Jeffrey C. Weaver providing New River Valley researchers with a new wealth of information and that tradition is continued today by the Grayson County, Virginia Heritage Foundation, Inc.

Welcome and we hope you enjoy our new look.

Murder of Allie Glade Anderson - 1948

Contributed by Stephanie Graves and Researched by Chuck Burress, Editor of the GalaxGazette

Published by The Gazette
Galax, Virginia
April 19, 1948


Funeral services were conducted Sunday for Glade Anderson, victim of the "goat shooting" which occurred near Grubbs Chapel community earlier last week.

Vester Jones, a neighbor, remains in the custody of Muncy Wingate, sheriff of Grayson county, pending the filing of formal charges which are apt to be murder.

The shooting was the outcome of an argument that developed over some of their stock. Jones is reported to have stated that Anderson came to the Jones home and a discussion followed a question over goats. Anderson, according to Jones, allegedly threatened to kill Jones and was said to have made mannerisms that led Jones to believe Anderson was armed.

Jones, according to the investigation officers, went into his home and cradled his twenty gauge shotgun. He returned and fired two shots at Anderson.

Following the incident, Jones gave himself up and reported the shooting to Sheriff Wingate. Investigation officers reported that Anderson had no gun in his possession and had apparently been bluffing if the Jones story is found to be authentic. Anderson was rushed to Wytheville for medical attention, while Jones was confined in the county jail.