Andrew Lewis Farrier
ANDREW LEWIS FARRIER. An old and important family that can trace its American line to the period of Colonial settlement in Virginia is of Scotch extraction and bears the sturdy old Scotch name of Farrier (or Ferrier), a name yet familiar in the Highlands of Scotland. The Farriers have always been people of education, thrift, industry and patriotism, and in agriculture, business and public affairs have contributed much to the well being of the communities in which they have made their homes. For almost a half century they have belonged to Giles County, and a worthy present day representative here is Andrew Lewis Farrier, who is cashier of the Sinking Creek Valley Bank of Newport, Virginia, and an overseas veteran of the World war.
Mr. Farrier was born at Newport, Giles County, Virginia, September 27, 1895, and is a son of Hon. Martin P. and Mamie (Foote) Farrier, and a grandson of Alpha Jacob and Harriet (Pence) Farrier, the latter of whom, born in Monroe County, Virginia, lived until 1916, surviving her husband many years. The grandfather served in the Confederate army in the War of 1861-65, and afterward engaged in farming in Craig County until middle life, when he retired to Newport and subsequently died there.
Martin P. Farrier, a prominent lawyer and a member of the Virginia Rouse of Delegates, was born in Craig County, Virginia, in 1869, and was five years old when he accompanied his parents to Giles County, of which he has been a resident ever since. He prepared for the bar in the University of Virginia, entered into practice at Pearlsburg and rapidly attained front rank and later became commonwealth attorney of Giles County. In earlier years he served as deputy county clerk of Giles County. In November, 1921, Mr. Farrier was elected a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, representing Giles and Bland counties, and during the session of 1922 and the special session of 1923, gave proof of sound judgment and public spirit in his advocacy and support of numerous wise and beneficial measures that have been placed on the statute books as laws. He is a member of Newport Lodge No. 261, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; of Pearisburg Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, at Pearisburg; Bayard Commandery, Knights Templar, at Roanoke; and of Kazim Temple, Mystic Shrine, at Roanoke.
Martin P. Farrier married at Pearisburg, Miss Mamie Foote, who was born here in 1876, and they have four sons: Andrew Lewis; Martin P., Jr., who is a farmer near Newport, Virginia; Frank G., who is a student in the Newport High School; and John Jacob, who attends the grammar school at Newport. Mr. and Mrs. Farrier are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Andrew Lewis Farrier in boyhood attended the public schools of Newport and was graduated in the class of 1910 from the high school, afterward becoming a student in Emory and Henry College at Emory, Virginia, where he remained until 1913, but on the completion of his sophomore year, returned to the home farm and assisted in its management until his enlistment on June 25, 1.917, in the National Guard. Just one month later he was called into active service and was sent for training to Camp McClellan, Alabama, as a member of the Virginia Field Hospital Corps. In April, 1918, he was transferred to Headquarters No. 104 Sanitary Train, 29th Division, and on July 4, 1918, embarked with his comrades for overseas service. On July 12 the Americans landed at Liverpool, England, went from there to Cherbourg, France, and very soon was at the front and in the midst of the greatest disturbance. For two months the 29th Division took part in the fighting in the Alsace sector, later in the Meuse offensive, and for twenty-five days battled and fell in the ever to be remembered Argonne offensive. Mr. Farrier was a sergeant in rank and bravely and efficiently performed every official duty. After returning to the United States he was honorably discharged at Camp Meade, Maryland, on June 2, 1919, and no doubt gladly returned once more to the peacefulness of the home farm.
Mr. Farrier continued on the home farm until June, 1920, when he came to Newport as cashier of the Sinking Creek Valley Bank, to the duties of which office he has given close attention ever since. The Sinking Creek Valley Bank was opened for business on December 6, 1912, as a state bank. Its capital stock is $11,300; surplus and profits $12,500; deposits $150,000. The present officers are: C. L. King, of Pearisburg, president; M. L. Huffman, of Newport, vice president; A. L. Farrier, cashier. The bank is in a prosperous condition and is numbered with the sound financial institutions of Giles County.
Mr. Farrier married at Newport, Virginia, on October 6, 1920, Miss Marjorie Miller, a graduate of Sullins College at Bristol, Virginia. She is a daughter of Mason J. and Sallie (Payne) Miller, her father being a leading merchant at Newport. Mr. and Mrs. Farrier are members of the Newport Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which he is a steward and is assistant superintendent of the Sunday school. The family home is a comfortable and attractive residence on Main Street, Newport, surrounded by large and well kept grounds. Additionally Mr. Farrier has valuable farm interests.
Mr. Farrier has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for a number of years. He is a member of Newport Lodge No. 261, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; of Blacksburg Chapter No. 65, Royal Arch Masons, at Blacksburg, Virginia, and belongs also to Blacksburg Post, American Legion. He is of frank and engaging personality and enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens generally.