American Legion, EUSTIS POST NO. 142 — 1924
Fort Eustis, Virginia
On March 4, 1924, Lieutenant Thomas P. Walsh, C. A. C., called a meeting of veterans of the World War, to be held in the General Court Martial room, Fort Eustis, Va., at 4:15 P. M. Those present were: First Lieutenant Thomas P. Walsh, C. A. C.; Master Sergeant Walter Morrisy, Fifty-first C. A.; Staff Sergeant Edward S. Turner, Fifty-second C. A.; Staff Sergeant James R. Strong, Fifty-first C. A.; Chaplain Commodore R. Watkins, U. S. A.; Staff Sergeant Simon C. Vange, Fifty-second C. A., and Corporal William R. Brooks, Fifty-first C. A.
It was found that seventeen veterans, at Fort Eustis, had signified their desire to become Legionaires and had paid the one year’s dues required.
The questions of a name for the proposed Post and a person to sign the application for a charter were brought up. The name Eustis Post was selected and unanimously adopted, in honor of Brigadier Abraham Eustis. General Eustis was born in Petersburg, Va., in 1776, and entered the army in 1808. He served in the various grade and in 1812 was breveted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. In 1834 he became a Brigadier General. General Eustis was the first commanding officer of Fortress Monroe, Va. He died in Portland, Maine, in 1843.
Lieutenant Walsh was selected to sign the application for our charter.
The following officers were elected: Commander, Colonel Harold E. Cloke, C. A. C.; vice– commander, Thomas P. Walsh, first lieutenant, C. A. C.; adjutant, William R. Brooks, corporal, Fifty-first C. A.; finance officer, Simon C. Vange, staff sergeant, Fiftysecond C. A.; chaplain, Commodore R. Watkins, chaplain U. S. A.; Post historian, William D. Cleary, chaplain U. S. A.; sergeant-at-arms, George Jarrett, sergeant, Fifty-first C. A.
There were seventeen original charter members: The seven officers named above and: Master Sergeant Walter Morrisy, Fifty-first C. A.; Warrant Officer Sparks, U. S. A.; Staff Sergeant Edward S. Turner, Fifty-second C. A.; Staff Sergeant James R. Strong, Fiftyfirst C. A.; First Sergeant John O. Brown, First S. R. Co., C. A. C.; Sergeant John Backer, Q. M. C.; Sergeant Walter T. Payne, Fifty-first C. A.; Corporal Albert James, Fifty-first C. A.; Corporal Reuben C. Pittman, Fifty-first C. A., and Corporal William F. Clarkson.
On April 8, 1924, a meeting was called in the home of the George M. Crawford Post, the V. F. W. Commander Cloke presided. Commander Cloke gave a very eulogistic talk on the principles governing the American Legion and outlined policies whereby social relations and good fellowship may be maintained. Vice-Commander Walsh outlined the prospects of the Eustis Post and gave a short talk on a Post organized by himself and a few others at Fort Mills, P. I.
The question of a building for the home of the Eustis Post was then discussed and Commander Cloke assured us that we could have any building in the camp that would not interfere with the routine duties of the camp. Chaplain Cleary then gave the Legion his. Sunday school hall as a meeting room.
At a meeting held on May 12, 1924, Vice-Commander Walsh was elected commander, Vice– Commander Cloke ordered to Philadelphia. Warrant Officer Sparks was elected vice– commander. Staff Sergeant Strong was elected Post historian vice Chaplain Cleary transferred. Four new members were admitted at this meeting. Mr. Robert M. Green, Corporal George Winters, Private John Beck and Private First Class Isah G. Johnson. A formal announcement was made to the effect that the number of the Post had been changed from No. 150 to No. 142. It was moved and carried that regular meetings would be held every first and third Monday in each month.
The Post held joint services with the George M. Crawford Post No. 637, V. F. W., on Memorial Day. After a parade around the camp every one was assembled at the Liberty Theatre. Commander Costello, V. F. W., opened the meeting and introduced the speakers. Colonel H. S. Wagner, Thirty-fourth Infantry (Virginia’s Own), gave an interesting talk on “Patriotism.” Mr. Bixby, North Richmond Post, the American Legion, addressed the assembly on “Our Obligation to the Dead.” Mrs. Harry Sheridan, President of the V. F. W. Auxiliary, used “The Poppy” as her subject. The Fifty-second C. A. band furnished the music. The members were then marched to the rear of the camp flag pole and the National salute of twenty-one guns was fired.
Since Memorial Day the meetings of the Eustis Post and. most of the spare time of the members has been devoted to preparing bonus blanks for the veterans of this vicinity and to, recruiting new members. We now have twenty-four members. Eustis Post is young and has only a few members. We have had some trouble in starting a Post, but are taking on new life with each meeting and within the next few months we intend to make a number of the older Posts throughout this territory sit up and take notice. Our objectives are to fill this community with the spirit of the Legion and to appreciate it to the fullest extent. With best wishes to all the other Posts of the American Legion, we are:
EUSTIS POST No. 142,
WILLIAM R. BROOKS, Adjutant.