Alexander T. Browning
ALEXANDER T. BROWNING, judge of the Ninth Judicial Circuit of Virginia, composed of the counties of Culpeper, Orange, Louisa and Goochland, and who resides at Orange, county seat of Orange County, was born in Orange County, September 10, 1873, and is a son of Capt. G. Judson Browning and Sallie (Thomas) Browning, who was a daughter of Dr. Robert Thomas, of Orange.
Capt. G. Judson Browning, father of Alexander T., was born in Rappahannock County, May 16, 1830, moving to Orange a short while before the Civil war, at the beginning of which he raised the company known as the “Orange Rangers,” of which he was commissioned captain, the company becoming Company I of the Sixth Virginia Cavalry, which company he commanded until wounded and was thereafter placed on duty around Richmond, where he remained in the Confederate service until the close of the war. Afterward he returned to Orange County and devoted himself to farming until his death in 1885.
Captain Browning was a Mason and stalwart democrat, represented his county and the County of Culpeper in the Virginia Legislature for several years, and he and his wife were communicants of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Captain and Mrs. Browning had four sons: Robert D., G. Judson, Alexander T. (the subject of this sketch) and J. William (cleric of the Circuit Court of Orange County), all still living in Orange County.
The, subject of this sketch attended the public schools of Orange County until 1885, and thereafter attended private schools in Orange and Madison counties and. the University of Virginia.. He was admitted to the bar in 1895, and engaged in the practice of law at Orange from that time until his election as judge of the Circuit Court in January, 1922, after a previous service of fourteen years: is commonwealth’s attorney of his native county.
He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a past master of Orange Lodge No. 138, Ancient Free and Accepted -Masons, and also a, member of the local chapter of Royal Arch Masons and of the lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He and his wife are communicants of Protestant Episcopal Church, holding their memberships in St. Thomas’ Church at Orange.
He married, October 17, 1906, Adra, daughter of William L. and Mary Beverly (Shaw) Bradbury, of Orange County. Judge and Mrs. Browning have four children: Alexander T., Jr., W. Beverly, John Judson and Adra B.